Worry and Freedom (or Freedom from Worry)
Worry. Stress. Fear. Apathy. If you are like me then you struggle with these behaviors every day. Throughout the course of a day I am repeatedly challenged by one or more of them as they creep into my thoughts and play on my weakness.
Freedom. Faith. Hope. Love. If you are like me then you struggle with these too. During the course of the day I am presented countless opportunities to exhibit these, to 'put on Christ' (Romans 13:14) yet more often than not, I fail. If you are follow this blog at all you know this is a running theme...
Worry and Freedom
What does it mean to be free? Ask this question here in the US and you will get a much different answer than if you ask it in Mozambique. Ask it 150 years ago and the response would most certainly be different. To be free requires first bondage. To be free requires struggle. To be free requires imprisonment. To be free requires desire to leave the shadows and walk in the light.
Our freedom has already been bought and paid for. Where does our bondage and imprisonment come from? Why do we walk in the shadows, struggle with our self worth, why do we worry when we have already been given this gift? Why do we choose the path of worry and doubt? If I only had an answer.
Our freedom comes with relationship - and to accept that, to embrace, model it and live it we must first accept that relationship with Jesus. The thing about it is, once we accept this relationship, take His outstretched hand, we never have to feel like we are walking alone again. Relationship with Jesus doesn't mean I will never fail - but it means I am not alone, I have someone real and present with me as I struggle with my freedom.
Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life
Matthew 6:26-27 (NIV)
Question for you - how have you stepped out of the darkness and into the light?
Bits and Pieces:
- We are almost sold out! But don't worry - we made another 5 cases of the Poblano Jalapeño this past weekend and we will be making more Hot Garlic and Autumn Spice in the next couple of weeks. Hot Sauce make great stocking-stuffers for Christmas!
- We will be at the St. Joe's vendor fair this Wednesday (6pm) in Hillsborough. Stop by and say hello.
- I heard Sam at Star 99.1 struggling with how to respond to folks who question her daughter's Downs Syndrome. Respond as she would - with love and an open heart. There is nothing more powerful than the faith of a childlike heart. I couldn't help reflecting on my Aunt Claudia who had DS - she was truly the light of the world and I miss her. Your daughter will lead more people into relationship with Jesus than you can imagine. You and she are blessed.
- Can't wait to tell you about the new World Vision Micro loans we fund - just waiting for our new business account to be accessible online.
- Be inspired - check out WPC Pakistan's Tabinda Ayub. On the front lines in Pakistan - giving voice to women.
- Also can't wait to tell you about WILL Foundation.
- It's starting to get colder - remember your food pantries and soup kitchens and don't throw those old but serviceable coats away- put them to good use.
- Next time - stress and faith.
Peace my friends,
You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5:14-16 (NIV)
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6:33-34 (NIV)