The Farmers' Market...
It’s been a great 2015 for us so far, in no small part because of our involvement with some incredible local farmers’ markets. New Jersey is known as the Garden State for very good reason - the quality and amount of fruits and vegetables that we produce here is astounding. Farmers markets provide an opportunity for many communities to gain access to fresh picked produce that is often, quite literally, picked that day. Beyond the fruits and veggies, most markets offer small local businesses the chance to sell locally produced products - usually with the provision that they are made locally, contain ingredients that are grown locally, or, as in our case, both. Come to any farmers market and you are almost guaranteed to be able to buy some fresh pickles, artisanal jams, fresh baked breads, vegan muffins, soups, freshly-frozen meals, fresh pestos, hummus and salads. Throw in some kettle-corn and (my favorite), kombucha and you are in for a great day!
This year is our first year selling our hot sauce at farmers’ markets and we are having a great time meeting people, having folks sample our product and provide comments. Being behind the market table is part carnival barker, part nice-guy (or gal) and part subject matter expert. We love getting questions about our products and enjoy having the chance to actually answer them.
Check out our “Find It” page to see the list of the farmers’ markets we are at this year - and if there is a market in your area that you think would be good to have our hot sauce at, please let me know and I’ll be sure to check it out.
Here’s a short list of some of our favorite farms and vendors that you’ll meet. It's where we choose to spend our money because they are just the best!
- Norz Hill Farm (Branchburg Farmers’ Market)
- Chickadee Creek Farm (Rutgers Gardens and Montgomery Farmers’ Markets)
- Dogwood Farms (Duke Farms Farm to Table Market)
- Harvest Moon Farm (Duke Farms Farm to Table Market, Sea Bright Farmers’ Market)
- Stult’s Farm (Rutgers Gardens Farmers' Market)
- Silver Birch Kitchens (Somerville and Rutgers Gardens Farmers' Markets)
- Uni Tea Kombucha (Rutgers Gardens Farmers' Market)
- The Farmer and the Chickpea (Somerville and Rutgers Gardens Farmers' Markets)
- Jams by Kim (Rutgers Gardens Farmers' Market)
- Judith’s Dessert Boutique (Rutgers Gardens and Montgomery Farmers’ Markets)
- Knead Baked Goods (Rutgers Gardens)
- Holly Jolly Jams (Sea Bright Farmers’ Market)
- Wolgast Tree Farm local honey (Duke Farms Farm to Table Market)
- Cookie Rush (Rutgers Gardens Farmers' Market)
- Frank's Pickled Peppers (Rutgers Gardens Farmers' Market)