Frittata for Two
I love cooking - and breakfast is my favorite meal. I thought I would share a wonderful recipe for a simple frittata for two that, without fail, comes out great! It's a perfect food for hot sauce delivery! I never measure anything and I recommend you do the same - as Miss Frizzle says "take chances"! This recipe is unique - the potato serves as a nice crust and finishing it in the oven means no flipping required - and the egg is light and fluffy.
- Small, oven-safe frying pan (cast iron if possible). The one I use is 6" in diameter.
- Mixing bowl
- 3 extra large eggs (or 4 medium eggs)
- 1 Tbs milk
- 1 - 2 Tbs Olive oil (not extra virgin)
- Small potato (1/4 of a baking potato) sliced thin - about 12 slices - enough to fill the bottom of the pan.
- Garlic - chopped (1 clove)
- Onion - diced (1/8 cup)
- Pepper - diced (1/8 cup)
- Bacon (2 slices, cooked) if desired
- Rosemary (1-2 tsp)
- Romano cheese (1-2 Tbs)
- Salt and Pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
- In the small skillet sweat the garlic, onion and peppers in a tablespoon of olive oil. Set aside the veggies for later use.
- Line the bottom of the pan with the potato slices and cook until light brown, flipping once. Total cook time about 6 minutes.
- Beat eggs and milk. Pour over potatoes.
- Return the veggies including mushrooms into the pan into the egg mixture.
- Add crumbled bacon or sausage pieces.
- Add rosemary.
- Cook for about one minute
- Sprinkle with cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Finish the frittata in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown
- Sprinkle with a little extra cheese and fresh rosemary
Slice, and enjoy. Serve with fresh fruit. Douse with Hot Sauce for Good hot sauce!
Substitute Oregano and Thyme for Rosemary and Parmesan for Romano
Substitute sausage for bacon
Substitute mushrooms for garlic and pepper
Use your favorite cheese - I have tried them all - Cheddar, Swiss, American, Mozzarella, Asiago
(For a family size frittata use a 10-12 inch pan and a dozen eggs and multiple amounts x4). Baking time should be increased to 20-25 minutes.)