Faith is Stress Accepted and Transformed
Stress or anxiety is constantly tugging at my pants leg, trying to hold me back from moving forward. Anxiety is doubt, anxiety is fear, anxiety is confusion. We are all filled with questions that we strive to answer, "am I good enough", "why does she love me?", "will I be able to say the right thing to make a difference", "what will they think if I open myself up?". Just in the last week each of these nagging questions has rattled around in my brain, looking for a foothold. These and the myriad others like it, are questions that induce anxiety. These are the questions that if we let them, take up residence in our psyche and don't allow for us to be the wonderful creation of God that we are.
Questioning what we do and why we do it is not bad - it is necessary. Questioning to solve a problem, to move a decision forward, to weigh options, to challenge the status quo is what we are called to do. But it is the questioning that leads to stress and anxiety because we know what is right, we know what is good, we know 'what Jesus would do' is nothing more than the evil and darkness of this world doing its best to worm its way into our lives.
Faith allows me to confront those questions and put them aside. To kick them to the curb so they are nothing more than unwelcome visitors who will continue to wander in. Faith allows us to recognize these questions when they appear for what they are. Faith and prayer help us to consciously decide to take positive action, to give it to God, to unburden ourselves and live the life that God has created us for.
Faith is stress accepted and transformed.
We are so honored at Hot Sauce 4 Good to be supporting and working with some great charities. This past Friday we got to spend some 'quality time' with some wonderful people from World Vision Micro. Not only did they honor us by stopping by, they helped us make the final batch of hot sauce for the 2013 season! Brian, Tripp and Nathan - thank you and may God continue to bless the work that you do. Thank you for helping to quell some of the fear and anxiety in Laurie and me. Thank you for praying with us before, during and after the work was done. We look forward to a wonderful and long lasting relationship.
Bits and Pieces
- We wiped out our business account again (all but the $5 required balance)! In this case that is a good thing - 5 loans funded through World Vision Micro, donations to St. Francis Breadline, Star 99.1 and WILL Foundation.
- We met some incredible people and have some amazing opportunities. We see the hand of God in our lives guiding us gently (and not so gently) along the road. Pray that we listen!
- We got a letter from our sponsored child from Mozambique. Quilona is 14 years old and is strong in her faith.
- We pray for our pastor and for all those in ministry as they open themselves up to scrutiny. May God be with them on their journey.
- Farm families are incredible - thank you Debbie (Norz Hill Farm) and Katie (Hillsboro Farm) for your support this year.
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-29 (NIV)
Humble yourselves, therefore, under God s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:6-7 (NIV)
When I said, My foot is slipping, your unfailing love, Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy. Psalms 94:18-19 (NIV)